Tuesday, April 23, 2013

What's Old is New Again

I think it's fair to say everyone has that person or persons you have those what if thoughts about.
I know I do.  There was a long time there where I couldn't hear certain songs or smell certain smells because the nostalgia would hit me so hard it was almost overpowering. I still struggle with some of that.  Sometimes I feel like I wasted really great music on not so great people. I' m slowly learning to not beat myself up so much about that.  I might have just had one too many 'Say Anything' moments.
Luckily I'm smart enough to recognize singing Madonna's 'Crazy For You' is not sexy- its sad.
But I digress...

I have two people from my past I definitely have put on a pedestal & still wonder. Modern technology is a dangerous thing. It can enlighten to you the fact it really was you, not them. It's gut wrenching to see pictures of the guy who told you he never wanted kids or a wife with pictures of both. Or the person you dismissed because you were too shy to feel good enough now successfully writing movies.
But my other person was older and talented and had long hair and wore flannel which I still have a soft spot for - he was the Matt Dillon character from Singles. Except nice, talented and blond.
We had palpable chemistry. Just hearing his voice. Amazing.
But when we're  together I was just out of college, I didn't know who I was our what I wanted. So I broke up with him. We stayed in touch but never in million years did I think we'd be in each others lives again.
Flash forward and we are. It's been a journey made with emails, texts, phone calls, across several states, and most importantly music.
The first song he sent me was The Script -The Man Who Can't Be Moved.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment