Thursday, April 11, 2013

How much?

I am beginning to think I am the reason my relationships fail. How much of me I'm still trying to work through.
My longest relationship was my marriage. It started when I was 29 & we divorced when I was 40. Prior to that it was a year, months, weeks, days but never years.  I spent almost a decade with the same person & now when we're in the same room it's hard for me not to want to punch him in the face.
But I think it's because I settled. He was safe, he was all the things I thought I should date but at the end of the day he was all the things I don't want. My ex husband was not a bad boy, an artist or a free spirit.  He was a computer geek who prided himself on having a dark side.  The reality was he was just a computer geek who thought he was bad ass when he squinted a certain way. But from where I came from he seemed so safe.
Not a musiscian
Not a jock
Not too young
Not too old
Never married
No kids
He knew some of my friends but the reality is because he was so different than any of my other boy friends that made him worse.
Hated going out w/my friends
Didn't read
Music tastes sorely lacking
Horrible relationship with his parents
Wore horrible t shirts
Was a slob
But he seemed safe. The reality is sadly there is a reason everyone has a type because it is what you're attracted to. I think if my ex would have at least tried to meet me in the middle we may have survived. But rather than grow together he began trying to figure out all the things he could change about me. To my face his friends made fun of me because of my pop culture knowledge. His family thought I was dating him for money. The reality is when I met him he was umemployed, a college drop out. Now he has a degree, job, & owns a home. I held his hand through that.  So why did I stay so long... I'm not sure, there's the mystery. And in all of this did I maybe just want to much?

No comments:

Post a Comment